Anime Club - Far Shore Society

#Far Shore Society
(Aka Anime Club)

Who are we?
People who share a common interest

What do we do?
Pick one anime each season to watch then discuss with each other

How do we choose that anime?
Each month we pick up to 3 anime, during the course of the month, you make a post here with the title of the anime you wish to see, along with a one sentence minimum reason for submitting it, once the month is almost through, a poll will be created with four of the anime that were submitted based on position of submission and category. The poll will include a short synopsis of each anime as well as pictures.

What about longer running anime?
(Ex. One Piece) No individual is going to be required to watch X amount of the anime, we simply ask you watch at least one or two episode before giving your opinion.

Where is the weekly anime discussed?
Each month after 3 anime win the poll selection, a new post will be created, and this current thread will be updated. Any discussion of that anime will be in response to the new post. (This post will have anchor links updated as we go)

What’s the purpose of this thread?
This thread for all intents and purposes, will serve as a “Home” for the club. I will be here to discuss or answer any questions you have about the club and take suggestions / ideas for improvement. It will also serve as a place for members of the club to be recognized for significant posts.

Goals

1. Discover New Interesting Anime
  2. Share Anime We Like With Others
  3. Expose New People To Anime
  4. Have Fun

Rules

• Avoid starting discussions of anime that we have previously watched unless you are comparing it to what we are currently watching.
  • If you have any questions about the club specifically, PM’ing me is preferred over posting. Keep the posts about the current anime.
  • Mentioning other anime is fine, as long as there is a connection, or similar event. Remember to use spoilers when talking about plot sensitive information in an anime.
  • Remember with each post you make, to be informative, and to contribute a well thought out opinion. (ex. Not saying “Wow this sucks”)
  • Keep the discussion of the weekly anime in the thread itself, linked and updated every week below.
  • List item

##Month 1 (October) - Kick this into higher gear

In order to kick start things I’ve selected three anime for October, Noragami, Hyouka and Zankyou no Terror.

1. Hyouka

[details=Synopsis: ]
Oreki Houtarou is a minimalistic high school boy. One day, he joins the Classic Literature Club at his elder sister’s request. There he meets Chitanda Eru, Fukube Satoshi, and Ibara Mayaka. Chitanda is a calm beautiful girl but she turns into an embodiment of curiosity once she says, “I’m interested in it (Watashi, Kininarimasu)”. Fukube is a smiling boy with a fantastic memory who calls himself a database. Ibara is a short girl and is strict with others and herself. She loves Fukube, but he always dodges her approaches. They begin to investigate a case that occurred 45 years ago. Hints of the mystery are buried in an old collection of works of the former members of Classics Club. The collection is titled “Hyouka”. [/details]

2. Noragami

The world consists of two parts: the near shore and far shore. The near shore is the place where people reside, while the far shore is the place for deities and ayakashi, which are emotional fragments that can posses humans and cause trouble. So it is a deity’s responsibility to remove those ayakashi from the near shore with the help of weapons called Shinki, made from the spirits of dead people.

Yato is a minor deity of war without shrine. Together with his Shinki, Tomone, he runs a Delivery Wish Granting Service, granting wishes for only 5 yen. After his Shinki leaves him on less than agreeable terms, he decides to run simple errands that do not involve ayakashi-related matters. While on a mission to find a lost kitten, he is nearly hit by a bus, but saved by a girl named Iki Hiyori. Hiyori dies for a moment, but then comes back to life. This, however, causes Hiyori’s soul to become unstable, leaving her body frequently. So by offering 5 yen, she asks Yato to fix her body… but Yato cannot help without a Shinki, so Hiyori accompanies him on his journey to find one, in the hopes of becoming normal again. But behind Yato’s kind-hearted face lies a twisted past…[/details]

3. Zankyou no Terror

In an alternate version of the present, Tokyo has been stricken by a shocking terrorist attack, and the only hint to the identity of the culprit is a bizarre video uploaded to the internet. The police, baffled by this cryptic clue, are powerless to stop the paranoia spreading across the population.

While the world searches for a criminal mastermind to blame for this tragedy, two mysterious children—children who shouldn’t even exist—masterfully carry out their heinous plan. Cursed to walk through this world with the names Nine and Twelve, the two combine to form “Sphinx,” a clandestine entity determined to wake the people from their slumber—and pull the trigger on this world.[/details]

Your welcome to watch all three and at the end of October I will write my opinion on each, Noragami Aragoto (Season 2) is currently airing if you enjoy the series!

Enjoy!

##Month (October) - Review time

Ok, firstly apologies for not reviewing these back in October, turned out to be a very busy month traveling over-seas and work being super busy. I also forgot about it due to other commitments I made for FGN for early 2016.

Enough of the excuses time for my reviews, these won’t be super long!

1. Hyouka

*Review:*

High school without a doubt has become the most ubiquitous setting for anime nowadays. Yet Hyouka manages to stand out amongst the endless swathes of high school anime that inevitably center around cute high school girls and mediocre slice of life stories.

“I don’t do anything I don’t have to. What I have to do, I do quickly.” - The motto of our protagonist Oreki Houtarou

We find ourselves in the Classic Literature Club of which Oreki Houtarou, our energy-conserving protagonist has reluctantly become a member and is soon joined by his eclectic group of friends, thus completing the groundwork for this “mystery” anime. When one considers what constitutes a “mystery” show, it is often associated with preconceptions of crime, horror and eerie suspense but Hyouka is not your typical mystery show as it centers on mysteries of little real-life consequence. These aren’t mysteries whose resolution will lead to justice being carried out but mysteries whose consequence lies in how it affects our characters. Nonetheless, Hyouka excels at executing these mysteries and in an atypical manner, with each of our main characters bringing a unique perspective in solving these mysteries, making the process fascinating as we observe the quirky and unpredictable methodologies being used. As the series progresses so do the depth of the mysteries which begin to have actual consequences to our four lead characters lives and relationships.

For most people, the short years spent in high-school are often the turning point and highlight of their lives; a time filled with introspection and change, where some dreams end and others are born to take their place. However, Oreki is not one of these people and is reluctant to allow change within himself as well as that which surrounds him.

But the world in which Hyouka is set, just like our own, is in a state of constant change. For Oreki this change comes in the form of a young girl by the name of Chitanda Eru. Whilst Oreki tries to deny it, Chitanda Eru has attracted his attention and refuses to let it go. With the simple statement “I’m Curious”, uttered by Chitanda, Oreki is helpless but to help her solve the mystery at hand no matter how mundane. Yet as Hyouka progresses the change which Chitanda brings is relieved to be an essential part in forming Oreki’s character.

Hyouka has its moments of slow story progress and cringe worthy narrative, however, what makes Hyouka so enjoyable is not the satisfaction of decrypting the mysterious but following the development of our 4 main characters throughout each one. The inner monologue and thought process Oreki has throughout the series had me hooked on the show the most and kept me watching throughout the slower moments. Hyouka is an exemplar of how the high school slice of life genre could be achieved as the relationships between our characters are captivating yet incredibly realistic with each action remaining true to the psyche of high schoolers and the ways they make decisions.

Kyoto Animation (Kyoani), must be lauded for how brilliantly Hyouka is presented. The atmosphere is prominently compelling with both the visuals and the sound contributing vastly in creating a well-constructed universe that entirely fits Hyouka’s quirkiness. The animation is also of the best I’ve seen – be it the expressions, movements or the background/setting, they are smoothly animated with appropriate lighting and a rich colour palette to fit the tone of each episode.

Hyouka, exemplifies the high-school/slice-of-life genre and proves why anime in this genre are worth watching and as an added bonus I found the fan service in Hyouka to be little to non-existent and that’s one of the reason I liked it so much.However, were it falls slightly short simply due to the sense of complete-in-completion, in other words the ending feels like the end of a single chapter, a chapter in our four character’s lives. I say no more to avoid spoilers but if you do watch it you may find out.

2. Noragami

Coming Soon™

3. Zankyou no Terror

Coming Soon™