Architects propose shadowless skyscrapers

Developing in London has always been frought with challenges. For instance, under the ‘right to light’ law, if a building has has recieved natural light for over 20 years one is entitled to maintain this level of illumination. This is part of the reason why London has so few skyscrappers, along with countless other laws which make developing tall buildings extremely difficult.

However, there are over 250 plans for new skyscrappers set for Londons future. We are already seeing new ones such as the Shard, the Walkie-Talkie and Leadenhall Street - ‘The Cheesegrater’.

Now architects have announced designs for a skyscraper which casts no shadows, in fact it casts light. One may remember the recent incident where the new Walkie-Talkie’s windows focused light onto the streets of London even going so far as to damage a vehicle.

However, the designers have stated that the light cast by their building design is diffuse and the glazing panels are convex as opposed to concav, there for avoiding focusing of light rays.

They used computer modeling to design a pair of buildings, one of which works like a gigantic, curved mirror. The glass surface of the northernmost building reflects light down into the shadow cast by its southern partner. And the carefully defined curve of that glass allows the reflected light to follow the shadow throughout the day. Note that the reflected light is diffuse—not a focused death ray that could fry an egg or burn tourists. - Source Wired

As someone who wants to live in London I personally like the idea of a more iconic skyline for such a iconic city, however, I’m not sure I want hundreds of Skyscrappers. The long term issues of that can be viewed in some of New Yorks aging towers. With that said if Londoners want to avoid urban sprawl and maintain new development in London’s green belt, obviously up is the only way to go.

Do you prefer living in the suburb, or would you like to live inner city?

Love the idea, although that’s a lot of money going into natural light.

I’m not sure if this is something which I see heavy investment in, in countries such as South Africa which have plenty of sunlight all year round. This could even potentially backfire in hotter climates. However, European cities and London could definitely benefit, especially during daylight savings periods. And it’s not like London does not have money for such an investment.