Spring Season Anime

New season of anime. Here’s what I’ve started and have enjoyed the first episodes of:

###Kekkai Sensen
Synopsis
A breach between Earth and the netherworlds has opened up over the city of New York, trapping New Yorkers and creatures from other dimensions in an impenetrable bubble. They’ve lived together for years, in a world of crazy crime sci-fi sensibilities. Now someone is threatening to sever the bubble, and a group of stylish superhumans is working to keep it from happening.

Opinion
First episode was a whole lot of fun. The setting, New York, is interesting if a little hard to discern. We follow our main character Leonardo Watch, a teenager with a unique ability. By the end of the episode we learn the nature and shocking origin of Leonardo’s ability. The action is fast and well animated with subtle similarities to Kill la Kill, but not so silly. And of course it’s a Studio Bones production so it will either be fantastic or a let down.

###Dungeon ni Deai o Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka?
Synopsis
The story takes place in the town of labyrinths, Orario, also called “Dungeon.” Bell Cranel is a newbie adventurer that admires “Having a fateful meeting with a person of the opposite gender.” One day during an adventure, he is attacked by a Minotaur. Close to destruction, he is saved by a top-class female adventurer, Eyes Warenstein. He falls in love with her at first sight, and begins actions to become an adventurer that is on her level. He later encounters Hestia, a god called a “Lolita god” due to her stature who falls in love with him.

Opinion
The English title: Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? is a little concerning, but my curiosity has been peaked. At first I was concerned that our main character, Bell Cranel, was to be a whiny annoying kid. Yet, the anime quickly dispells this. The first episode was interesting enough, if a little filled with fan service, however, it left me wanting more. The animation quality is good but the story could be a let down. I would suggest giving it at least a three episode test.

###Shokugeki no Souma
Synopsis
The anime adaptation of the Shokugeki no Souma manga that centers on Souma, who works with his dad at his family’s restaurant. His dad is a culinary master, and he often hosts cooking battles with his father. His father then enrolls him in an elite culinary school that is very difficult to enter, and the graduation rate is only about 10 percent.

Opinion
A cooking anime has to offer us something, and Shokugeki no Souma deliverers glorious looking food and comedy in droves. The first episode was full of fan service to the point where I’ve heard the new term “Foodgasm”. However, J.C Staff’s new anime is funny enough to look past this and enjoy the anime quality and what is set to be a good story. I enjoyed this anime the most of the three I’ve picked up so far.

What have you started watching?

###Spring season guide, enjoy!

closed #3